For Your Comfort
For Your Comfort and Safety
At Southwest Portland Dental, we understand that coming to the dentist can generate an increase in anxiety in some patients. There are many ways that we can help you relax while trusting us with your care. Amenities we provide for your comfort include:
- iPods and Headphones– Feel at ease with a variety of music choices.
- Neck Pillows – Decrease tension in your neck and shoulders with a supportive neck pillow.
- Blankets – Relax and snuggle up under one of our fleece blankets.
- Light Oral Sedation and Nitrous Oxide – Pre-operative prescriptions for oral medications that cause light sedation are provided as needed. These medications allow patients to remain fully awake for the procedures, but the oral sedation medication provides increased comfort and reduces anxiety.
- Infection Control – The infection controls that we use at Southwest Portland Dental protect both staff and patients.
Drs. Jarvis and Goldwyn and the entire team follow procedures recommended by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). These measures include:
- Disinfectant hand soap
- Gloves and face masks
- Chemical disinfection of countertops and surfaces
- Sterilization of all equipment before every use
- Disposable materials
Digital imaging allows Drs. Jarvis and Goldwyn to see beyond what can be detected during a visual exam, providing information to diagnose cavities between your teeth, determine bone level, and analyze the health of your bone. We can also examine the roots and nerves of your teeth, diagnose lesions such as cysts or tumors, and assess damage when trauma occurs.
Drs. Jarvis and Goldwyn choose carefully when it comes to the timing of x-rays. With digital imaging, exposure time is about 50% less when compared to traditional methods. Digital imaging also provides patient images that can be quickly and easily transferred to specialists or insurance companies.
- Removable Dental Appliances including Partial Dentures and Overdentures
- Children's Dental Care
- Routine Root Canals and Extractions
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation
- Referral to Specialists When it Would Best Serve Your Needs
Intraoral Camera Technology
Our intraoral camera technology enhances your understanding of your dental needs. An intraoral camera is a very small camera – in some cases, just a few millimeters long – that enables Drs. Jarvis and Goldwyn to view exact images of your mouth, teeth and gums.
With these accurate, enlarged images, Drs. Jarvis and Goldwyn can see details that may be missed by standard mirror examinations. The images captured by intraoral cameras can also be saved in our office computer to provide a permanent record of treatments, be printed for you, other specialists, and your lab or insurance companies.
Identifying and filling cavities is essential to maintaining a healthy smile. In years past, it was necessary to poke and prod teeth in order to detect cavities. However, cavities can be tricky to find, hiding and developing in hard-to-reach areas. Diagnodent helps with cavity detection through laser technology.
First, Dr. Jarvis or Dr. Goldwyn uses the Diagnodent on the surface of a healthy tooth to get a benchmark reading. Then the laser is used on all surfaces of your teeth, and whenever there’s a reading that is different from the healthy benchmark, the technology records the finding so that Drs. Jarvis and Goldwyn can recommend the proper treatment.
A build-up of tartar can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. A piezo scaler helps to efficiently and comfortably remove tartar that has built up on your teeth. It works by using ultrasonic vibrations along with a water stream that washes debris away from the tooth. Part of a regular teeth cleaning, the peizo scaler provides a more convenient and quicker way to remove harmful tartar from your smile.
Southwest Portland Dental
1616 SW Sunset Blvd., Suite B